Site Search

Study, Work Permit and Visas

To study in Canada, students require a valid Study Permit at all times.  If you want to work off campus, you require a Work Permit; and if you leave Canada and want to return, you must have a valid TRV (entry visa).

There are 2 methods to renew your Study Permit, Temporary Resident Visa, and work permit. You can either apply online or apply by mail.

To apply online, you will need to create and log in through the GCKey below:

The University of Windsor is a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), our number is (DLI#) O19358946722

If you are tranferring to another university or college within Canada, you must let the government know. Follow this link to find out how: Transferring DLIs


Under the new IRPA provisions (Appendix A – IRPA, Section 91), providing third party representation or advice for consideration (payment or some form of compensation), or offering to do so, is prohibited at all stages of an application or proceeding under the Act. As a result, only members in good standing of a law society of a province (including paralegals), the Chambre des notaires du Québec, or the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC), which is the governing body for immigration consultants designated by the Minister, are authorized to provide advice or representation for consideration in connection with an application or procedure under the Act.


You can check the processing time of your application at this website.

Every effort will be made to make sure that the information on this website is up to date and accurate, but you should always check the IRCC website to be sure.

If you are in Canada, you can try calling IRCC's Call Centre if you have any questions or concerns. Make sure to call Monday to Friday between 8am to 4pm to speak to an agent.
Their phone number is: 1-888-242-2100

Having problems logging into GCKey?
If you are having problems with logging in, call 1-855-438-1102

Applying by Mail

If you plan to apply for a visa or permit by paper, the first thing you should do is ensure that your application package is complete. Please watch their video below on why it is important to do so.


Refer to our respective web pages on how to apply by mail:

To request a review of the desicion made by CIC folllow this link: Case Specific Enquiry

Withdrawal of an Online Application

If you wish to withdraw your online application, you may send a request by email to

You must include the following information in your message:

* Complete Name;
* Client ID number, if you have one;
* Date of birth (YYYY-MM-DD);
* Country of birth;
* Complete address (including the postal code). If the residential address is different from the mailing address, please provide both addresses;
* Telephone number. If you have more than one contact number, please provide them all;
* Application type;
* Date the e-Application was transmitted;
* Online application reference number; and
* Payment receipt number.

And please indicate if you wish to have your payment refunded or keep your payment receipt for a future application.

The e-Services Unit will determine whether a withdrawal request is possible and will communicate with you via e-mail within three (3) working days of our receipt of the above information. 

How to Request a Refund:

You may request a refund in one of the following three ways:

  • E-mail (IRCC preferred):
  • Mail: IPRMS Refunds, 70 Crémazie Street, 6th Floor, Gatineau, Quebec, Canada, K1A 0G3
  • Fax: 819-953-1377

Your request must include the following information:

  • Your name;
  • Your current address;
  • Scanned copy of the receipt or the receipt number;
  • Date of payment;
  • Total payment amount;
  • Reason for refund request; and
  • If you cannot provide the receipt number, include: the first two and the last four numbers of the credit card used for payment, the card expiration date, and the cardholder’s name.