Site Search

Income Tax Information

Even if you have no income to report or tax to pay, you may be eligible for certain payments or credits. In order to receive these payments or credits, you must file an income tax return.

We will offer free tax clinics to all international students on campus. As a resident of Canada for part or all of a tax year (January 1 to December 31), you must file a tax return if you want to receive a refund from the government.

You must file an income tax return to receive credits such as:

  • The GST/HST credit (goods and services tax/harmonized sales tax)
  • Canada Child Tax Benefit payments
  • Provincial or Territorial tax credits.

Canadian Income Tax Clinics for International Students WINTER 2017

ISCTAX will be holding Tax Clinics throughout April 2017. Please wait for email updates through WISEL for the weekly schedule and walk in hours.

Other free tax clinics available in Windsor

Make sure to bring all the necessary documentation with you to get your tax refunds ready, the clinic are free and all located in the ISC.

Please bring the following documents with you:

  1. T2202A - Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts Certificate (Available on SIS)
  2. Rent Receipts
  3. T4 - Statement of Remuneration
  4. T4A - Statement of Other Income
  5. Medical and Donation Receipts
  6. Passport
  7. USB Flash Drive
  8. SIN or Individual Tax Number
  9. Bank information for direct deposit (a blank cheque will do)

For other examples, please see "Do you have to file a return?" in the General Income Tax and Benefit Guide.

For income tax purposes, international students studying in Canada are considered to be one of the following types of residents*:

  • resident (includes students who reside in Canada only part of the year) Most students are in this category
  • non-resident
  • deemed resident
  • deemed non-resident

* Most international students will be resident or deemed resident

Your residency status is based on the residential ties you have with Canada. For more information, please see IT-221, Determination of an Individual's Residence Status.

What if I don't have a Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

If this is the first time you are filling for a tax return, there are some important points to know. All relevant steps are covered in this website: Newcomers to Canada.

Mailing your Tax Return:

If it is your first time doing your taxes, please send it to the following address:

International Tax Services Office
Post Office Box 9769, Station T
Ottawa ON  K1G 3Y4

1-800-267-5177 (from Canada and the U.S.) or
(613) 952-3741 for calls overseas (collect calls accepted)

If you have applied for taxes beforeplease send it to the following address:

and you are an international student, send your taxes to:

International Tax Services Ottawa
2204 Walkley Rd.,
Ottawa, ON
K1G 4G8

and you are a domestic student, send your taxes to:

Winnipeg Tax Centre
66 Stapon Road
Winnipeg MB  R3C 3M2

Local CRA Office:

Office Hours: 8:15 - 4:30
* Service is by appointment only.

Windsor Tax Services Office
185 Ouellette Avenue
N9A 5S8
1-800-959-8281 (within Canada only)

GST Credits - 1-800-959-1953
On the website:

For further Information:
Go to the Canada Revenue Agency website and search for the following publications:

Tax Forms

Ontario - 2015 General Income Tax and Benefit package

General Forms Book for Ontario


General Income Tax and Benefit Guide for Non-Residents and Deemed Residents of Canada


Application for a Canada Revenue Agency Individual Tax Number (ITN) for Non-Residents


Newcomers to Canada


Moving Expenses Deduction


Determination of Residency Status (Entering Canada)


GST/HST Credit Application for Individuals Who Become Residents of Canada

Schedule 11

Schedule 11 - Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts


Students and Income Tax


Determination of an Individual’s Residence Status


Scholarships, Fellowships, Bursaries, Prizes, Research Grants and Financial Assistance.

This information is from the Canada Revenue Agency website for International Students in Canada

For an easy review of Canadian taxes and international students watch the following videos:
It has multiple, shorter segments addressing specific questions international students have around tax issues 

This information is intended for current University of Windsor students only.