Site Search
Department of Human Resources

Out of Province/Country Coverage

Out of province hospital and medical services coverage is provided by Allianz Global Assistance, through Green Shield Canada, to employees and retirees who meet the Canadian residency requirements.  This travel plan covers active employees for 180 days per trip commencing on the date you leave your province of residence.

Retirees are covered for either 90 days per trip or 180 days per trip depending on which Plan they have selected. The maximum benefit is $1,000,000 per calendar year.  

Full details of the Out of Province/Country Travel Plan can be found in your applicable Green Shield Benefit Booklet.  There is no longer a separate booklet for the Out of Province/Country Travel Plan. Please refer to your applicable benefit group as shown on the main Benefits webpage.

Plan members are strongly encouraged to contact Green Shield Travel Assistance (1-800-936-6226) or (519-742-3556) for any pre-trip assistance, county codes, or general information you may require before travelling. 

Please review the following documents for more details:

NEW - October 1, 2017 - Green Shield updated the definition of "Stable" - refer to the last item in the Travel Benefits FAQ section for information that is more detailed and specific. This new definition is shown in your benefits booklet as well. An explanation can also be found here.

Travel Benefits Update - November 2017

Overview of Travel Benefits

Quick Tips

Travel Information

Retirees Presentation - Out of Province/Country Travel Benefits - Allianz & GS (October 27, 2016)


The Cuban government will accept a valid Provincial Health Insurance Plan card as proof of sufficient travel insurance coverage from Canadian travellers entering Cuba.  In addition, it is strongly recommended that Canadians also take proof of additional travel insurance (Green Shield Canada ID card) and a Confirmation of Travel Insurance letter. Refer to the question "What documentation should I bring with me when travelling to Cuba?" in the Travel Section of GS FAQ section here: