Site Search
Canadian & American Dual J.D. Program

U.S. Citizens

U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the U.S. may qualify for federal loan programs. All students eligible for U.S. government aid must first fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid Form (FAFSA). The priority deadline is April 1 each year. Students will need to sign a form, allowing the information to be released to both schools. When completing the FASFA form, you will need each school’s code.

University of Detroit Mercy School of Law - E00392
University of Windsor Faculty of Law – G06689. 

Federal Programs
  • Federal Stafford Loans U.S. citizens and permanent residents may qualify for a Federal Stafford Loan. Stafford loans are capped at $20,500 per year. A student must utilize this loan before applying for additional government aid.
  • Federal Graduate Plus Loans  Federal Graduate Plus loans are available to meet the difference between the cost of attendance budget and other aid.
Private and Alternative loans

Private and alternative loans are also available, but they require a credit check and a co-signer. Either the student or student’s co-signer must have acceptable credit.


Students may qualify for external scholarships at both the University of Detroit Mercy and the University of Windsor. One entrance scholarship will also be awarded. In addition, each university will award an achievement scholarship at the end of each year. For further information, see the University of Detroit Mercy Scholarships and University of Windsor Scholarships.

Work Study 

U.S. citizens or permanent residents may qualify for state or federal work study programs.