tpng

School History

The roots of the University of Windsor began with the founding of Assumption College in 1857 by the Jesuits. In 1870 they relinquished control of the college to the Basilian Fathers. An affiliation with Western University (now the University of Western Ontario) began in 1919, and remained in place until the University achieved independent status in 1953. The name was changed to Assumption University of Windsor in 1956, and became officially called the University of Windsor on July 1, 1963.

The Odette School of Business traces its beginnings to 1953, when Dr. Gilbert Horne, later to become the first Dean of Business, established the Department of Business Administration as a distinct unit from the Department of Economics. In 1955, the first graduating class of the three-year Bachelor of Commerce program had degrees conferred upon them; they were a class of sixteen students. The first Honours Bachelor of Commerce class graduated in 1960, followed in 1963 by the first MBA class.

In 1964 the Department became the Faculty of Business Administration. Dr. Michael Zin, part of the first graduating class, was named the second Dean of the Business School in 1973 and, in 1978, the Faculty of Business Administration moved into what is now the Education Building at the corner of Fanchette Street and Sunset Avenue.

In 1991 the faculty moved into the landmark new Odette Building on the corner of Wyandotte Street West and Sunset Avenue and in 2000 was renamed the Odette School of Business, in honour of long-standing supporters Edmond and Louis Odette.

 

Former Deans

Left to right: Former Deans Eric West, Michael Zin, Gilbert Horne and Rein Peterson.