In order to apply and be approved for OSAP assistance, you must be taking courses for credit, towards a degree, diploma or certificate program. Non-degree studies for the purposes of upgrading, for self interest's sake or audit courses, are not funded by the Ontario Student Assistance Program. If you are pursuing Non-Degree Studies or are registered in courses that do not satisfy the degree requirements of your current program, your request for OSAP assistance will not be approved.
Under review, however, the following situations CAN BE considered:
- A student has transferred from another institution and is attending the University of Windsor as a Non-Degree student on a Letter of Permission from another institution. Documentation required > a cover letter from the student explaining the situation and a copy of the Letter of Permission issued by their home institution.
- A student is taking prerequisite courses required for admission into a graduate program of study. Documentation required > a cover letter from the student explaining the situation and supporting documentation to corroborate that the specific courses that they are registered in are required for application/admission into their graduate program of choice which would equate to a Masters Qualifying year.
The following situations can NOT be considered:
- A student is taking courses towards a professional designation;
- A student is upgrading courses as a non-degree student;
- A student is taking non-degree courses for self-interest;
- A student is taking non-degree courses to establish their teachable for application into the Faculty of Education;
- Additional Qualification (AQ) courses offered by the Faculty of Education for students who already have their Bachelor of Education are intended to enhance one's teaching credentials and are not approved for OSAP funding.
Requests for a review of your non-degree studies must be submitted to the Student Awards & Financial Aid Office at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the study period to ensure that there is sufficient time for a review of your situation prior to classes starting. Students who do not submit their requests for a review in a timely fashion will be subject to withdrawal charges and/or interest charges should their request be denied and they are required to withdraw from their studies due to lack of funding.
Request for Non-Degree Studies Review Form